(courtesy of Joy of Baking)
Makes one 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf
1 3/4 C all-purpose flour
3/4 C white granulated sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. gound cinnamon
1 C toasted and chopped walnut or peacan (optional)
2 large eggs (lightly beaten)
1/2 c unsalted butter (melted and cooled)
3 riped bananas (mashed)
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Butter and flour (or spray with a non-stick vegetable/flour spray) the bottom and sides of 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pan. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nuts. Set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the mashed banana, eggs, butter, and vanilla.
5. With a rubber spatula or spoon, lightly fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until the batter is thick and chunky (do not over mix the batter: it will yield tough, rubbery bread).
6. Scrape the batter into prepared pan.
7. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until bread is golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
8. Cool on a wire rack.